It's TIME to DETOX!
Apr 18, 2019
It’s SPRING!!! Even in my corner of the world.
In my back yard I can see bare patches of ground…. amidst the shrinking snowbanks.
So, okay, maybe I shouldn’t be calling it “spring” yet…
It is, at least, “the season after winter” though.
We’ve also entered the season of DETOXIFICATION!
Over the last month, I’ve been diligently drinking daily green drinks and lemon water. (They’re GREAT for cleansing the liver, the hard-working organ that filters about a liter of blood every minute for detoxification – AND performs over 500 other functions!)
And, last week I completed my annual 15-day parasite purge. (Too much information, you say? Sorry...)
I’ve also shifted my diet toward cleansing, easy-to-digest, fiber-rich foods.
That’s why I was so happy to come across this recipe for DETOX TURMERIC LENTIL SOUP.
I have never seen so many cleansing, nourishing, cancer-fighting ingredients stirred into one pot!
Plus, it’s loaded with flavour. Nope, nothing bland about this baby! Give it a try – this recipe does not disappoint!
Happy Spring, everyone! (And to those celebrating Easter or Passover this weekend, a blessed and happy that, too!)
DETOX TURMERIC LENTIL SOUP
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped turnip
2 ½ cups chopped sweet potato
2 minced garlic cloves
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 cup green or brown lentils
1 cup red lentils
1 (or 2) tablespoons turmeric
1 teaspoon ginger (fresh is nice)
1 teaspoon cumin
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 cup almond milk
1 cup baby spinach
1 cup fresh parsley (or dill, or other herbs of choice)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or any other large pot. Add all the vegetables (onions, garlic, celery, turnip, and sweet potato). Sauté about 5 minutes, until veggies are soft and fragrant.
- Add salt, pepper, and thyme. Continue cooking for another couple of minutes.
- Add lentils and remaining spices (turmeric, ginger, and cumin). Sauté for about a minute.
- Add broth and water. Bring to a boil. Cover, turn down heat and simmer for ½ an hour.
- Remove from heat. Stir in almond milk, spinach, herbs, lemon juice, and pepper flakes. (The spinach will wilt quickly.) Enjoy!